Want me to still bring this over to RPG Maker MV?
Carmilla - Make your destiny - v01FULL
A downloadable game for Windows
UPDATE SET 2016 ...THE FULL GAME IS OUT! It has 4 endings, some easter eggs... It can be finished in one sit, there is a LOT of text, so save everytime you are able to walk. It's my first game, I'm open to tips, coments, etc... Hope you enjoy! If you run into a bug, feel free to coment here =D I'm SO TIRED, I'm gonna lay down now, bye.
UPDATE MAY 2016 Hi everyone! I'm almost done with programing, art and music still very behind, but going @_@ Looking for beta players to help me with bugs, if you are interested message me on http://carmillarpg.tumblr.com/ or https://twitter.com/Ell_Puppet or comment here =D Added some screenshots, hope you guys like it! UPDATE 2016/04/05 Hi everyone! I would like to thank your support! The game is almost done! I completely re-did the script so is more robust and inclusive for people who didn't watch the show, Silas now is 3x bigger with some easter eggs... the game programming is almost done, im a little behind in the art and music part but already have some done! If you wanna be a beta player please let me know, see you guys soon!
Game based on the first season of the web serie Carmilla (watch on youtube, it's awesome!), it's mostly for the fans, since it doesn't have much explanation... I tried to explore the parts of the show that we didn't see, like other parts of Silas and stuff, there is also some choices the player can make. I hope you have fun, and let me know what you think! You can find me on tumblr at http://carmillarpg.tumblr.com/ I'll upload the full game as soon as it's done, thanks for playing!
PS: I'm looking for a beta to check my grammar, since english is not my first lenguage, if you can help me, let me know! EDIT: got one *_*
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
how far are you into it? like halfway?
Well I have to start over due to lost data. So mind sending me the files again. Seriously, losing data sucks Dx
wow that sux, I'll email you soon... thanks!
So do you have an email I can contact you with?
Hi! Thought you were working on it already... anyway, i havent seen a download in ages... no requests for MV version... but hey, why not, right?
Hey, you up for this being done in MV?
Was this done in VX Ace?
Would you like help porting it over to MV?
waw, sure! I dont have MV tho D: but i would love to export to MAC and Android +_+
As a big Carmilla fan, I was excited to see this pop up but I do think that you have a long ways to go. I'm glad someone is going out of their way to make a full Carmilla RPG so I hope to provide you with some constructive feedback. I can boil it down to this: You do have a good start so far, but when it comes to making it feel like a true CARMILLA game, you still have a lot of work to do. But again, this is a demo, so there's plenty of room to grow from here. I love this game's potential and if you want me to help beta read your dialogue, let me know and I'll get you my contact info. As for the con crit, let's get started~ Uh, brace yourself, it's kinda long, but I just wanted to be sure it was thorough in order to help you out better. :)
- While you still primarily have placeholder sprites, I did like the little custom stuff I saw so far. You even have a Uby by Kotex box! :D
- As far as how the cutscenes were handled, being able to walk around, interact with plot relevant objects, and the transitions from place to place? Everything worked fine. In a gameplay sense, it was barebones but it was a fairly consistent experience throughout. I'm sure that the final product itself will be solid in that department, so long as you keep putting the effort in.
- I was amused by [boring amount of time]
(they probably made out)
- The fade to black and the use of the nightmare sounds was a good way of adapting that part of the story to the RPG Maker medium.
- THANK YOU for using LaFontaine's correct pronouns! Seriously, good on you.
- You purposefully rushed the dialog and explanation. Unfortunately, I feel that doing so is very much to the project's detriment. A LOT of why Carmilla works as a series is because it has a unique cast of characters with their own distinct personalities that are in a very unique setting. Having a game that expands on the parts of the show that aren't shown is a great idea and I'd love to see how far you take it, but cutting the character interaction to its barest bones and not showing any of the previous background info the show has about Silas U means that the parts you don't see in the show that are in your game don't have the context necessary to actually work all that well. Ditching that background info and other character interaction also means that a lot of the humor that the series is known for is gone as well, which might not go over well with other Carmilla fans. Like LaFontaine, without that humor, you got a character that does weird things for seemingly no good reasons. You have Danny with war paint on and Laura asks about it, but it's never answered, despite the Summer Society and Danny's role in it having a big role in both season 1 and 2. The way it's framed in the RPG makes it seem more like a benign club rather than what it actually is. Laura seems to be narrating to no one in particular instead of to the audience as she usually does when she's near a computer and I feel that aspect should be kept in unless you can have a good reason to adjust it otherwise.
- Speaking of "having a game that expands on the parts of the show that aren't shown", I feel the demo as it stands so far doesn't do a very good job of doing so. I was expecting to see more of the initial party, like a walkaround where you could talk with other people and possibly get more foreshadowing on what's to come later, but even the first episode shows more of the party than you did. A lot of stuff, like Silas classes, all the various clubs, the discussion between Carmilla and the Dean, etc. aren't really shown. It isn't until we get to walk with LaFontaine to the faculty meeting do we actually get to go past the dorm to the greater (and surprisingly unpopulated) campus at large. There's a lot more work to be done here and I hope you do expand more on a lot that is left offscreen. Like that little library visit...the Alchemy Club's mushroom mishap...and that final confrontation during the finale...
- Despite being ostensibly a yuri game, the only route that can be truly pursued in the demo is Laura/Danny, to the point where you directly break with canon as to when they've first interacted. It seems fairer, at least to me, to have the romantic routes follow their original canon progression and diverge from that basis or, if they're intended to, break from canon rather blatantly for both ships just to be fair. Regardless if you kiss or keep it friendly, the dialogue doesn't change all that much beyond locking you out of further romantic dialogue, which is unfortunate, because pursuing the Laura/Danny route is one of the few choices the player can make besides walking and interacting with objects.
Actual Glitches/Bugs I saw
- When the demo ends, the Coming Soon screen doesn't cover the window, it only shows up in the right corner, very small
- I'm not sure if this is just an RPG Maker thing, but when characters open the door, can they not have the door behind them when they do so?
- Any chances for any further RPG style combat? I feel it would definitely be more RPG like with it, would offer more gameplay richness for players, and you got plenty of potential threats to combat. Zeta bros, the Library books......the Alchemy Club's mushroom mishap...and that final confrontation during the finale...
- I think that if you're primarily focused more on expansion of the original series and the shipping aspect, it might be more effective to develop a Carmilla visual novel or an interactive fanfiction story via Twine or a similar program. When the main means of directly the story is through dialogue and player choice, those mediums are more effective, as when people play RPGs, they're expecting to be able to fight monsters, level up characters, explore, etc. If you were to do a visual novel or interactive fiction, you could also have the character dialogue and actions not only lead to certain romantic endings but even endings that we didn't get to see in Carmilla! Though if you wanted to stick to a more linear narrative with no player choice, that's also possible with visual novels and interactive fiction too. Linear visual novels are called "kinetic novels".
- Don't feel afraid to change plot aspects to fit within the RPG medium but also expect that Carmilla fans will expect some level of familiarity. Having that will not only help Carmilla fans get more into the game, but if you're also going to promote the title on places like itch.io where it might get players that haven't seen Carmilla, having those plot elements still in there will keep them from going "I really have no clue what's going on here, it felt rushed".
Hi! Thank you for taking time to write this comment =D So here we go, english is not my first lenguage, and I apreciate any repport of error, since I posted the demo I got 2 betas! Thank you very much for offer!
This is my first game and i'm doing everything by myself, so this is the first time I'm getting a reaction to any of this, and it's been realy good!
The rushed dialog: i watched every episode and made a general script, it's very rushed cause i was worried about not copy the dialogs to much. Since you are the 2nd person that comment about this I WILL revise the script and think of a way to make things more slow and clear.
The begining of the game is realy boring. I rushed to this part where we leave with LaF to be able to post demo by the Yuri Jam deadline, there will be more action in the game to come. Also I just built extra character to populate the campus, and reviewing some scenarios, they look kinda small, I might rebuild some to make things more explorable...
Laura/Danny is the only route FOR NOW, the game will have 4 ends and will break cannon. I dind't make it a VN because i really wanted to make an RPG and... well, i just really wanted XD
Oh man, i didn't fix the coming soon thing? Dammit!
The door: That was just a pratical decision, i made that door in one frame and did not animated it cause... its a ridiculous amount of work. Plus the corridor in the back... Maybe when i finish the 'heavy' parts...
There will be combat! I got into RPGMaker cause of the horror RPGMaker community, these games are story driven and have very little combat, and that was my start point. I will put combat in the game but i'm not sure about lvl ups, it doesn't seems to make much sense plot wise...
Thank you very much for your feedback, it gave me a bunch of ideas, and OMG i have so much work to do. If you have new suggestions, please feel free to say!
This is not a hater's comment, I just tried to make a constructive critique.
Honestly, I expected a better game. I can understand the graphics are just placehoders, but it was quite forgettable for me. Don't think of this as a hater's comment, I think this can make a better game.
I think Carmilla's fans would expect an adaptation of the book - I can tell since my girlfriend is such a big fan of Carmilla, and was really dissapointed to know it was about the web series - and as a reader, I also think it'd be better too.
I don't know if the dialogues are going to stay as they are, but if they do, I suggest more development, as in the story as in the characters, since I didn't actually understand the plot because I found it quite rushed.
Just some suggestions from a VN fan, cheers with the game! I know it can be better.
Hi! Thank you for your critique =D I'm sorry you were disapointed D: my focus with this game was to explore the parts of the web serie the viwers DIN'T saw, the off-screen parts, thas why the dialogs are rushed and lack explanation, i didn't wanted to take so much of what was already in the show.
I am a huge fan of the book as well! And now you made me wanna do an adaptation of the book! Would you guys wait till next year?
Thank you for your comment, i'm always in to take suggestions ^^v
Of course we can wait! XD I'd like to play an adaptation of the book, even if I the only thing I know abou the book it's that it's about a lesbian vampire. I think I should start reading it :v